Transformational events cannot be predicted. A tragicomic story from our present.
Nadia (45), after divorce, finally finds a good flat for reasonable prize for her and her doughter (12). Soon, but at the time too late, she also see the reason: her close neighbour in the house is a mentally ill Gabika (63) and terrorizes her surroundings. Nadia’s natural humanism leads her to help Gabika’s situation, but she only becomes an object of her attention in her madness. Nadia’s effort to connect various authorities to solve the situation leads to her recognition she became a part of long term story of failing institutions where no one wants to take responsibility for a sensitive case. Nadia’s life is far from relieve. Does her new situation also start mirroring her future?
A fiction full length debut of renowned Slovak woman documentary filmmaker Zuzana Piussi (1971) and her long term co-laborator, actor and writer Ingrid Hrubaničová (1965), open the view at modern society via a single mother, an aging and frustrated woman who hardly admits both. The film work with tragedy of everyday life with a dark humor, which is common for both artists and their roots in famous alternative theatre scene of Bratislava of the 90ies.
- The Unbalanced
- Zešílet [CZ], Zošalieť [SK]
- CZ / SK, 2022, 95 min.
- Script: Ingrid Hrubaničová
- Director: Zuzana Piussi
- Producer: Vít Janeček – D1film (CZ), VIRUSfilm (SK)
- Support: Audiovizuálny fond (SK), Státní fond kinematografie (CZ), Kultúrny fond Bratislavského samosprávneho kraja (SK), Nadácia mesta Bratislavy.
- Cast: Ingrid Hrubaničová (Nadia), Jaroslava Sisáková (Valika), Vladimír Zboroň (Vlado), Daniela Gudabová (a neighbour), Tatiana Marta Rehúšová (Tatiana), Ľudmila Lukačíková (a neighbour), Peter Kalmus (homeless man), Ivan Ostrochovský (publisher), Peter Bálik (homeless man), Róbert Zipser (homeless man) and others
- Industry workshops and presentations: Torino Film Lab Extended 2019, MIDPOINT special consultation – Gyula Gazdag 2019